“We continue to plan for every possible contingency as it relates to the coronavirus,” said Emergency Management Director Jason Patno. “Safety of our citizens is priority number one. I recommend closely following the guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and SC DHEC.”
According to DHEC, the risk to the public remains low and there is no evidence of ongoing transmission in the community at this time.
Citizens with questions about COVID-19 can call the DHEC care line at 1-855-472-3432. Staff are answering calls from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays.
- DHEC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) homepage: https://www.scdhec.gov/health/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) homepage: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
o Coronavirus Disease-2019 (COVID-19) and Children: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/children-faq.html
Additional recommendations from the CDC and DHEC:
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.