This phase of the project includes the continuation of the lane from the Paul J. Gelegotis Bridge to the existing right turn lane at the intersection of River Road. The widening will help alleviate the afternoon congestion onto Johns Island caused by the merging of the two travel lanes. Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations are also included.
Construction Starting June 12
- At no time will the roadway be closed during the daytime however the work can occur during the daytime
- Lane closures must occur during nighttime
- At no time will the entire roadway be blocked to traffic
- Drivers will have access to businesses and residential properties along Maybank Highway at all times
- Drivers traveling through the project’s construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times
The goal of the project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Maybank Highway and to provide adequate bicycle and pedestrian accommodations. Planning for the projected started in 2007 and construction will be completed in three phases.
Visit the official website at http://roads.charlestoncounty.org for public meeting notices and up-to-date news and information about all Charleston County Transportation Sales Tax road projects. Anyone with questions about the project can call Charleston County’s Transportation Development Department at (843) 202-6140.